Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope: The Inauguration of Barack Obama



I have been ashamed to be an American at various points in my life. But for the last eight years, my shame has not abated for even one day.

I am hopeful on this day, in this place, at this time, for my country.

I set my alarm for 3 o'clock in the morning to watch all the coverage of this historic event. I just heard on CNN that aides and staff will be getting to work right after the swearing in at noon today.

On the agenda are closing Guantanamo Bay prison, torture, and ending the international gag order for birth control funding around the world. Excellent start.

I only wish Martin Luther King Jr. was alive to see this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I am working today. I will have this tiVo'd or recorded to veiw when I get home. I am in awe at the changes that will be taking before us. I never thought in my lifetime that I would be a witness to such a historic event. It makes me proud, and most hopeful that our new President Elect can right so many wrongs that has been a black mark on the great country of ours!!

Noelle Chalmers, Long Beach Ca.

octavio aristizabal said...

this is definitely a landmark in a our history, the keystone... nevertheless the amount of trinkets and masks, the excess and extravaganza across the world do not concord with the depression we are moving into... we are far from the sobriety that times like this should require

Mary Cuevas said...

hi n and o,
thanks for commenting.:) what a day it has been.

real sad about ted kennedy collapsing. but it sounds like he is doing okay in the hospital.

can you believe obama is our president.:)
mary