Saturday, December 20, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire Voted Best Film



Photo posted on Flickr by beast and bean


If you are a fan of Danny Boyle's directing in Trainspotting, you will love his new film, Slumdog Millionaire. This film takes you through the mean streets of Mumbai. The fast editing and handheld camera action is similar to what the filmmakers did with City of God, the film about the slums of Rio de Janeiro. I swear it is like you are walking right along side the main character as he experiences horrific conditions and loss while a young boy living in the slums of Mumbai.


Photo posted by beast and bean on Flickr


His undying love for the girl will entice the hopeful romantic in all of us. I never watched the show about being a millionaire and definitely did not know that India had their own version. But let me tell you this, the host of the show really summed it up when he said something like this to the main character, "your whole life can be changed in a matter of seconds if you answer the question correctly." No shit.



Photo posted by beast and bean on Flickr


Anyway, I read in the Los Angeles Times that Kenneth Turan has voted this the best movie of 2008. It is a good film. Don't wait for this one to come out on DVD. It is a must see on the big screen.

One last thing, I've been reading Turan's reviews for years, but never wrote to him. Anyway, I loved his review of Australia and I absolutely loved that film (see my review, posted on Nov 30th, 2008).

So I decided to email Mr. Turan. I raved about his review in one short paragraph. He wrote me back and said, "Thank you for your kind words. They go a long way."

As much as we think journalists are bombarded with reader emails, they are not and love to hear from us. Cool.

No comments: