Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Movie Review: Mrs. Palfry at the Claremont

Rupert Friend and Keira Knighley, photo posted by becksi88 on Flickr

I rented a film on DVD called Mrs. Palfry at the Claremont. Dan Ireland directs, Ruth Sacks adapted it for the screen from a novel by Elizabeth Taylor (the novelist, not the actress). Dame Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend play the two main characters. Both deliver stunning performances.

Mrs. Palfry (Joan Plowright) moves into a hotel that doubles as a retirement home and is essentially abandoned by her family. To save face she tells the other lonely residents that she has a grandson who will be visiting her soon.

Joan Plowright in Enchanted April photo posted on Flickr

Anyway, one day while Mrs. Palfry is out she trips and falls. The very handsome Ludovic Meyer (Rupert Friend) helps her up. He takes her back to his place and nurses her wound. Ludo is a struggling writer. When Ludo walks her back to the hotel, Mrs. Palfry invites him to dinner as a way to thank him. Inadvertently at dinner, the other residents mistake Ludo as the long lost grandson who had yet to make an appearance. A mistake Mrs. Palfry does not correct.

Rupert Friend and Kiera Knightley, photo posted by missjessdoll on Flickr

Ludo and Mrs. Palfry become fast friends filling the void of lonliness they felt in London. Here is one of many of my favorite scenes to the best of my recollection:


Mrs. Palfry: Why isn't a young person like yourself out on a Saturday night with your friends?

Ludo Meyer: It takes money to have friends. I can't afford to go to dinners or out for drinks. So friends have quit calling.
Maciera Restaurant, photo posted by tapas talk on Flickr

Man that line just killed me. Because when I was working on the doc film, I had to down size in many ways while struggling to find financing. My recreation money was non-existent. So I had to turn down dinner invites and drinks with friends. Eventually friends quit calling me as well.

Rupert Friend and Kiera Knightley, photo posted on Flickr

Anyway, I highly recommend this film, and not just because I am completely in love with Rupert Friend. This is a great little story about getting old and being abandoned. By the way, while digging up photos of this film to no avail, I discovered that Rupert Friend is the boyfriend of Kiera Knightley. Looks like they have been together for some time. They look great together. And if he is anywhere near as nice as his character Ludo, Kiera is one lucky girl.

No comments: