Monday, December 08, 2008

The New Huffington Post Book on Blogging



Ariana Huffington and Bob Edwards, courtesy of The Bob Edwards Show (Flickr)


I bought the new complete book on blogging put out by the folks at The Huffington Post yesterday. I highly recommend this book. It has a wealth of information on how to be a successful blogger.

One chapter tells you how to get more traffic and visitors to your blog besides your mom. One of my fears of starting a blog was that no one would read it except family and friends. I see I am not alone.

It is written in a funny blog-like style. I am new to the blogosphere and having a blast. I took a couple of journalism classes at UCLA and dreamed of being a foreign correspondent reporting from war-torn regions like Joanna Cassidy and Nick Nolte in the most excellent film Underfire. I am pretending with my blog that I have my own little newspaper where I can write about whatever I feel like writing about.

As recommended by the new Huffington Post book, I posted a link of my movie review on Australia on reddit.com and had loads of hits within seconds to my blog. Very cool. The review is not a professional review. Just my thoughts on this most excellent film. Screen perfection in my humble opinion. But I digress.

I saw Ariana Huffington interviewed on The Daily Show. Her advice was to write what you feel passionate about and find your voice.

Also, the book encourages uploading images to your posts. Might I recommend Flickr to everyone. They have photos of everything you can imagine under the sun. Make sure that the rights are "common creative." If all rights are reserved, be careful about uploading the image...or at least give credit. By the way, I used tons of photos for my review of the film Australia. Think this might be another reason I had so many hits.

The book is called, The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging.

I bought it at Border's for 15 bucks, but here is a link to Amazon for those too lazy to go to the bookstore.:)
http://www.amazon.com/Huffington-Post-Complete-Guide-Blogging/dp/1439105006

One last thing, the guy in the photo above that I found on Flickr is Bob Edwards. Remember him from Morning Edition on NPR? Man do I miss that bedroom voice of his and his great reporting. I see he has a show since the photo is courtesy of his show. But where does he have this show? Anyone know? Radio? TV?

No comments: